Youth Performance Company
Youth Performance Company (YPC) is a world class, Ivey Award honored youth theater developing and empowering young actors, singers and dancers to reach their artistic potential and become community leaders. Young artists participate in all aspects of creating cutting edge performances, including writing, directing, building sets and designing costumes. Many of YPC's artists have gone on to professional careers in the arts or have used their experiences to become leaders in our community.
Artistic Director Jacie Knight founded Youth Performance Company in 1989 with a firm belief that young people are capable of artistic excellence. She had a vision that teens and young adults could have a voice in the creative process, become empowered as leaders, and produce theatre with the highest standards of artistic excellence. Now in its 23nd season, YPC continues to keep young artists center stage while holding professional artistic quality as a measure of success.
What new functionality we are looking for
Our website looks great, but is not practical or functional.
Our website was built in joomla - and no one understands joomla. We have a web-savvy staff, and volunteers with some experience - and no one can really figure it out. We spend hours trying to make simple changes without destroying the layouts.
Images were used in the design - so we usually do not appear in search engines. (for 2 years we were not on the first page of companies that popped up under a search for "youth performance company")
Because we can not alter the front page of the website (no one can figure it out), it does not have current information, and people who wind up on our site have to click through many other pages before getting the information that they need.
The site design is not user friendly - we would like a website that has:
* a front page that includes our latest news, current & upcoming events, ticket buying links, directions to our various locations, a donate now button, links to facebook/twitter/blogs/youtube, etc.
* the overall site needs a strong organization structure that is based on our programming (main stage shows, classes, residencies, leadership council, films, special events, etc)
* a website design that takes SEO into consideration
* it should not take more than 2 clicks to get to the info you want - and you should not get frustrated trying to find simple information
* the capability of uploading/embeding videos easily directly to our site (not hosted on vimeo or youtube)
* the possibility of easily connecting our website with our database at some point in the near future.
* a PCI compliant website
* it would be awesome to have a site that was viewable on a smart phone
We also need a website that is easily updated by our staff.
How the new functionality will help
Two of our 3.5 staff members spend an inordinate amount of trying to figure out how to update the website with new shows, classes, and more. They are already overworked.
Our patrons wind up at the wrong location, they are unable to purchase tickets or register for a class because the links are broken with the simplest changes, and frustrated patrons do not return.
An easily updated, fully functional (not just pretty) website would free up time that staff would then spend on programming and with our constituents. A simple-user friendly website would make our patrons and parents happier (and more likely to return). And, a cool, teen-friendly site that shows up on your phone would impress those 'artsy' kids that are looking for a place to belong, and they would be more likely to show up at our door, ready to get involved.
How our organization will use the technology
Who will use the technology
30 Messages from Supporters